Winter is coming…
With winter looming, there’s always the worry about getting sick with colds and flu and the impact it can potentially have on our daily lives. There’s no doubt many of us want to do as much as possible for ourselves and our families to avoid sickness and stay healthy over the cooler months. In addition to eating well, getting sufficient sleep and exercise, rugging up from the elements, regular handwashing and seeing your doctor for advice on flu vaccinations, there’s one other simple action you can try which is easy as brushing your teeth!
Did you know that washing and clearing your nose with a preservative-free isotonic saline can benefit in many ways?
6 ways a good nasal wash may help
- It can help flush out viruses in the nose where they are breathed in, invade and replicate.
- It can cleanse nasal tissues to help maintain nasal immunity and functioning.
- Cleansing the nasal tissues before use of medicated nasal sprays may also improve their uptake.
- Thinning and diluting excess mucus in the nose and sinuses can help relieve sinus congestion, pressure and pain.
- It can help reduce viral load in the nose and as a result, reduce symptoms from colds and other Upper Respiratory Tract Infections.
- It can help reduce viral shedding in the nose and as a result, reduce the rate of infectivity (spread of virus).
Nasal washing in adults
For adults, we suggest you try Flo Sinus Care. Flo Sinus Care is available in most Australian pharmacies and comes with a squeezable bottle and pre-mixed sachets of a special formulation that is added to pre-boiled water. It mimics the body’s natural fluids so it’s gentle and suitable for daily use. The method is simple and takes less time than brushing your teeth. With a bit of practice, the action can take less than 30 seconds!
- Once you have included the solution to the bottle, insert the bottle’s nozzle into one nostril.
- Gently squeeze until the solution flows through your nose and out of the other nostril.
- Once approximately half the solution is used, you can repeat the process via the other nostril.
- It is important to keep the mouth open throughout to avoid gagging!
If you are out and about and need to keep your nose clear during the day, you may like to try Flo Saline Plus Nasal Spray or for added nasal hydration/moisture, try Flo Travel Nasal Spray (with Red Seaweed Extract).
Nasal washing in babies and children
For babies and kids, you can try Flo Baby Saline Nasal Drops or Spray and Flo Kids Saline Nasal Spray. All Flo salines in the range are preservative-free, isotonic and designed to be gentle on nasal tissues.
Both Flo Baby and Kids Salines use advanced technology which allows them to be administered at any angle, making it quick, easy and hassle-free for parents to use. No mucus aspirators are necessary in this process and often a baby hardly even notices when Flo Saline Nasal Drops or Spray are being administered.
The method for babies and children is simple and takes literally seconds.
1. Position baby or child in a comfortable position.
2. Position the spray applicator tip just below the nostril and insert the required dose into each nostril.
3. Wipe baby or child’s nose with a soft clean tissue.
Nasal and sinus washing is a natural and effective therapy that has been around for decades with many benefits. We believe that it is worth trying – it could make all the difference to your’s and your family’s health this winter!